When you're getting started with Drift, you have two options in terms of how you'd like to engage with your site visitors and customers - either proactively or reactively. The proactive options are through Playbooks, automatic, pop-up style messages, or reactively through the Default Greeting, which appears when the widget is clicked on.
In this doc, we'll cover
- how to understand and configure the Welcome Message Playbook and see how it fires
- how to understand and set up the Default Greeting and see what it looks like
- things to note and FAQs
The Welcome Message Playbooks and the Default Greeting are available on any Drift plan.
The Welcome Message Playbooks
Every Drift account comes pre-loaded with two Playbooks, the Online Welcome Message and the Offline Welcome Message. These are proactive messages that will display to your customers automatically when visitors land on your site.
You can locate your Playbooks from within the Playbooks tab.
Online and Offline in this context refers to whether your Drift instance is considered online or offline based on your targeted business hours, for example Monday-Friday 9am-6pm EST. You can set these up in your settings. These hours inform which of your Playbooks will fire and when.
Customizing the Welcome Message
Click into either Welcome Message Playbook to edit the copy of the message! You can also customize who the message is sent from (any one of your account's users or a teammate at random each time) and choose the Call to Action.
Available Calls to Action are
- Start a conversation
- Link to a URL
- No CTA
If you're just getting started with Drift, we recommend Start a Conversation.
How the Welcome Message Playbook Fires on your Site
When you land on your site, you'll see the widget appear and then a message automatically expand. Click into the conversation and send a message to start a conversation!
The Default Greeting
The Default Greeting is a reactive message that appears when the widget is clicked outside of the context of a Playbook. The Default Greeting serves two primary purposes.
- It's perfect for customers who do not want messages to proactively appear to their customers.
- The Default Greeting shows to visitors who don't match any of your other Playbooks' targeting conditions (Standard plan users and above).
If you are are interested in the first use case, you must turn off all Playbooks, including the Welcome Messages.
When this is done, you'll see the widget (aka chat bubble, chat box, chat icon) sit on your site quietly, until you or a visitor clicks on it, at which point the Default Greeting will show!
Customizing the Default Greeting
You can edit your Default Greeting at Settings > App Settings > Drift Widget > Default Greeting, or click here!
You can, like the Welcome Message Playbooks, configure an online and offline version, as well as choose who the message fires from.
How the Default Greeting Fires on your Site
When you or a visitor lands on your site, the widget will appear and sit quietly. Clicking the widget displays your Default Greeting!
Things to Note and FAQs
- The Welcome Message Playbooks (both online and offline) will always be the lowest priority in all of your playbooks, so any other Bot or standard Playbooks created will be ranked higher (Standard plan users and above). Learn more about Playbook prioritization here.
- You will have the ability to select the display conditions for the playbooks in editing mode.
- The widget icon can be turned off here. Playbooks, like the online and offline Welcome Message, do not need the widget icon to be toggled on in order to fire; however, the Default Greeting Message can only be accessed through the chat widget icon.
- When you choose to have "Random Teammate" as the sender, it will only pull from the list of online users. There will only be up to 3 online users displayed at one time.
- The Default Greeting is on by default, and cannot be turned on or off. It is there to make sure chats don't fall through the cracks, and so you don't lose any leads!
Q: How do I get this message to stop popping up automatically?
A: If you have messages that are auto-expanding proactively, this is a Playbook! You can turn off your Playbooks at app.drift.com/playbooks. You can also reference the first section of this doc, "The Welcome Message Playbooks." If you're not sure which Playbook it is, just send a message in response to it and check in your Conversations view to see where the conversation started from!
Q: I updated my greeting but it's not updating on my site. What's wrong?
A: Make sure you understand which message you're editing! It can be either the Welcome Message Playbook, which lives in the Playbooks tab and is proactive, or the Default Greeting, a reactive message when you or a visitor clicks the widget, and can be edited within your widget settings.