A key part of using Drift is sending the right messaging to the right people. People who land on a certain page, or belong to a company of a certain size, or who spend a specific amount of time on your site are all great ways to send personalized and unique messaging to your customers!
In this doc, we'll cover
- the available types of targeting conditions you can use with bot Playbooks
- how to add and combine conditions
- choosing your display frequency
Drift Insider Note:
Did you know we have a class on this topic over on Drift Insider also? Check it out HERE
Here are the types of targeting you can choose:
When using Targeting, you'll have the option of Basic Targeting, and Advanced Settings. Basic Targeting makes things easier by giving you simplified radio buttons to use and select for your targeting for which page the bot should be located, which country it is displayed too, and what hours the bot is displayed.
- URL – When the visitor is on the URL selected in this targeting step, display the campaign. There are a few ways to target by URL, some of which are “is/is not any of," and "includes / does not include."
- URL Path – This is the /path that displays after the core URL (app.drift.com/settings)
- URL Host – This is the subdomain or core domain of the URL (app.drift.com/settings)
- URL Query Param – This is any query parameter within a URL
For URL Query Parameter targeting, we validate the conditions to ensure they're in the correct format, which is key=value.
- Drift Online- Target based on whether your Drift account is online or offline.
- Outbound Session- Target based on whether or not the session is Outbound.
- Outbound Rep- Target based on the prospect's Outbound Sales Rep.
- Targeted Account- Target determining on whether or not the account is a direct target.
- Team Status - Target whether or not one or more of your teams is online/offline (Premium plans and above)
- Contact Segment - target or exclude one or more of your contact segments
- Marketo List - target one of more of your imported Marketo Lists (Premium plans and above)
- Country - target by country
- US State - target by states in the United States
- Canadian Province - target by Canadian Province, ex. Ontario
- IP Address - target by a set of IP addresses
- Zip Code - target based on global zip codes
- Referrer – This is the URL that refers the website to the page they're on now (google.com)
- Number of Site Visits – The number of times a user has visited your site (sessions, not page views).
- Number of days since last visit – When the visitor last visited any page a specific number of days ago, display the campaign.
- Device – If the visitor’s browser matches the criteria set, they’ll see the campaign. The options here are mobile, desktop, or tablet
- Seconds on Page – After somebody has been on the page for a certain number of seconds, you can have a message display. This will delay the message from popping up for the allotted time.
- Seconds on site (in seconds) – Similar to "Time on page" but measured from the start of the visitor's session and independent of the amount of time that is spent on any given page.
- Scroll percentage – After a visitor scrolls X percent of a page, you can have your message display.
- On Exit Intent – This triggers when a user's cursor leaves the window on the top half of the screen, usually indicating they intend to change browser tabs or close this tab/window. The user must be on the page for at least 5 seconds for exit intent to work.
- Cookie – Hide or display your widget or Playbook to users who have or don't have a specific cookie attached to them!
For cookie targeting, we validate the conditions to ensure they're in the correct format, which is key=value.
- US State (location) – Choose to target or exclude specific states in the United States
- Country (location) – Choose to target or exclude specific countries for a campaign or chat
- IP Address - Target visitors based off of their IP address
Came From Outbound Email Playbook (non Bot Playbooks):
- Use this to fire a playbook for users who clicked over to your site from an email sent by your sales team through Sequences or the Chrome extension..
- Employees - Number of employees in a company
- Revenue - Annual revenue for a company (public companies only)
- Industry - Industry classification of company
- Domain - Company domain associated with person's employer
- Name - Name of company
Please keep in mind, any targeting with Drift Intel is contingent on being able to identify the visitor's IP in their database! If there isn't a match, any other Playbook display conditions will not apply.
Adding Multiple Conditions:
Choosing Playbook Display Frequency:
After setting the targeting conditions, you'll want to set how often your playbook is shown. Simply scroll down and select the appropriate radio button. You can also select what percentage of customers will see your bot.
Note: To change the percentage of targeted visitors, you'll need to be on V2 of the Widget and you'll need to be on the Premium or Enterprise plan.
If you run into any trouble or have any questions, let us know. We’re here to help!