Importing contacts via CSV is available on Drift plans.
In this article, we'll go over:
- How to add new contacts via a CSV
- How to create a segment off of your contacts
- Adding the segment you've created to a Playbook audience
Some things to note before starting the import that will save you some time:
- Importing requires a CSV file format and an application that lets you open that file to edit (Microsoft Excel for Windows or Numbers for Mac for example)
- Make sure all the rows/columns are filled in so Drift can make sure the information is accurate
- Upload all the columns that you are hoping to attach attributes to.
Sometimes you will be importing large CSV files, but you may only want four out of the 100 columns and their data mapped over into your CRM. Make sure to only select the columns you want to map attributes to in your Drift account!
Please be aware that contacts that have been uploaded to Drift via a CSV import can not be targeted by Drift playbooks.
How to add new contacts via importing a CSV
To import your contacts:
1. Go to you Visitors and select Import Contacts 2. Select Import a CSV for email.
3. You can either drag and drop from or click the Select a File link select a file.
To fine tune the import, you'll most likely want to map columns to attributes.
When you select a CSV to import you will see a table like the one in the screenshot above. The left column lists the name of the attribute pulled from the CSV. The drop down on the right can be utilized to assign the CSV attribute to a Drift Attribute. Once you do this, you will see a preview of the data contained in the Sample Information column between the CSV Colume and the Drift Attribute pull downs.
4. Once done, all that's left to do is... Finish your import!
After clicking finish, you'll be routed to the Import Logs screen where you can review any errors in your import.
To review your errors, simply click the View button at the end of the row and Drift will download an error report to your device.
Once completed, you will be able to access all of this new data in the All Contacts page under the Visitors tab.
Create a Segment
Once you have your contacts imported and mapped to the visitors tab, you'll be able to create segments off of those contacts. Segments are groupings of contacts that all have an attribute of event in common. Segments can be created of of various different variables and can them be utilized as an audience to build a playbook of of, or be included as a targeting account.
For this example, we'll create a segment for all contacts who engaged with a playbook, but did not book a meeting, OR CQL Score is 3.
1. Start by going to the Contacts page and select All Contacts and click Create Filter
There are a couple options to choose from. The two options are Attributes and Playbook events.
- Attributes are properties you mapped out. i.e. email, phone, name, company.
- Playbook events are actions that have happened when a visitor has triggered something in a playbook. i.e. clicked email, dismissed a playbook, captured an email
2. Now, we'll include users who we have an email, and a phone number for by selecting email/is known and phone/is known
3. Now, using the same methods we'll want to also include contacts who's CQL Score is 3 by clicking add another group and selecting CQL Score is the Attribute.
4. Once you completed selecting your attributes, click Save as Segment at the bottom of the side bar you're on.
5. After clicking save, you'll name your segment and have the option to save the segment as a dynamic segment, or a static segment.
- dynamic segments update over time adding new contacts that match your criteria, and remove contacts that no longer meet the criteria
- static segments are like snapshots of your segment and wont be updated over time. If you'd like to update the segment you'll need to do it manually by going to visitors > contact segments
Adding Segments to a Playbook's Audience
Once you have your segments created, you can now use them as a playbook audience. This is a great way to send tailored messaging to people who've engaged through other channels or who have previously been qualified in other Playbooks.
To do this:
- Go to visitors
- Click on contact segments
- Click the @add to playbook audience icon at the top of your screen.
From here you can choose to create a new playbook, or add a segment to an exiting playbook.
For further details on building playbooks, check out this help doc here.
If you run into any trouble, let us know. We’re here to help.
Not using Drift yet? Get your free account here.