New to Drift or just trying to add some new contacts? We make it easy to transfer your data over!
You can import your CSV file into your contacts to get your data into Drift.
Some things to note before starting the import that will save you some time:
- Importing requires a CSV file format and an application that lets you open that file to edit (Microsoft Excel for Windows or Numbers for Mac for example)
- Make sure all the rows/columns are filled in so Drift can make sure the information is accurate
- Upload all the columns that you are hoping to attach attributes to.
- Sometimes you will be importing large CSV files, but you may only want four out of the 100 columns and their data mapped over into your CRM. Make sure to only select the columns you want to map attributes to in your Drift account.
- The CSV file uploaded must have a column for email or userID
- Select Import Contact
Click on the contacts tab in the left sidebar of your Drift account. This will bring you to the page where you can view all of your contacts. To start your import, click Manage Contacts and then select Import CSV from the drop down menu.
- Import your CSV FileOnce you click Import Contact, you will be brought to the page seen above, this page has a light gray field in the middle. Either drag and drop your CSV file into this field OR click on "select a file" to manually select the file you wish to import.
Please note that the CSV file uploaded must have a column for email or userID.
- Map Columns to AttributesWhen you select a CSV to import you will see a table like the one in the screenshot above. The left column lists the name of the attribute pulled from the column names on your CSV. Select a Drift attribute to map this to by selecting one from the drop down menus on the right hand side of the table seen above. Once you do this, you will see a preview of the data contained in the cells below each column of your CSV.
- Finish Import
Once you are happy with your attribute, click the green Finish Import button on the top right corner of your screen to upload your data to your contacts.
- Check for errors
Once everything is uploaded, you will be able to access all of this new data in the Contacts page. If there is an error with the download, go to the Contacts page, and click Imports. Once you are there scroll to the date of the import and see what contacts were imported into Drift. Click "view" to see what the errors were that caused the failure to import.
If you run into any trouble, let us know. We’re here to help.
Not using Drift yet? Get your free account here.