Drift Segments allows you to filter contacts based on attributes and events, so you can provide the best buying experience for your prospects. Some common use cases include:
- Target a contact segment with a playbook
- Retarget a segment of contacts who engaged with a playbook, but never booked a meeting
- Enroll a contact segment in an email sequence
- Hide Drift from a segment of contacts
Here, we'll cover
- the difference between dynamic and static segments
- creating a segment from your contacts
- adding a segment to a Playbook audience
Dynamic vs Static Segments
In Drift, there are two types of segments:
1. Dynamic Segments update over time, adding new contacts that match your filter and removing contacts that no longer meet the filter. For example, if your segment has the filter "Lead Stage is known", any contact that has a Lead Stage will be added to the segment. Dynamic segments are great for automating workflows.
2. Static Segments are snapshots of your contacts based on the filters you've applied. These don't update over time.
Create a Segment
Let's create a segment for all contacts who engaged with a playbook, but did not book a meeting, OR CQL Score is 3.
1. Start by going to the Contacts page in Drift and click Create Filter
There are a couple options to choose from. The most popular are Attributes and Playbook events.
2. Let's start with the attribute. We want users who gave us an email, and a phone number:
3. Next, I want to also include contacts who's CQL Score is 3. CQL Score is an Attribute.
Because I wanted the CQL Score filter to live separately from the playbooks, I used a new Filter Group. Groups offer high levels of flexibility, allowing you to create powerful segments with granularity.
Finally, save your segment as a Dynamic or Static segment, and give it a name!
Adding Segments to a Playbook's Audience
You can also add segments to the audience of your Playbooks to level up your targeting! This is a great way to send tailored messaging to people who've engagedthrough other channels or who have previously been qualified in other Playbooks.
It's easy to do! Simply go to your Segments view, and click the Target icon.
You'll see a modal pop up two picklits - one of your Playbooks and one with "include" and "exclude" based on the behavior you're looking to set. Choose from the available options and click "Add to botAudience." You'll be presented with a confirmation message and an option to jump to the Playbook's audience conditions!