The Drift for Salesforce App adds even more Salesforce reporting functionality to our standard Salesforce integration.
Drift Insider Note: Did you know we have a class on the Drift of Salesforce App over on Drift Insider? Check it out HERE
The app syncs over 25 fields related to each conversation in Drift which power reports and dashboards that we’ve pre-created for you. You can use these fields to create new reports alongside the rest of your Salesforce data.
Installing the Drift for Salesforce App
Note: Only a Salesforce Admin will be able to install the App in your production instance.
- Navigate to the Drift for Salesforce installation page [INSTALL LINK}.
- Select Install for Admins Only and click Install
Note: If you are not a Salesforce Admin, you will will receive an error message
- A window will appear asking to Approve Third-Party Access. Please tick Yes and click continue.
Note: We use this to send a signal from your Salesforce instance to kick off the Drift data sync (in a later step)
- The installation process will begin and a progress notification will appear
- You’ll be notified once the installation is complete. Click Done
Note: The installation can take a while depending on Salesforce server conditions. If there is a delay, you’ll receive an email when the installation is complete
- Next, add the read-only permission set to your users, Drift for Salesforce Permission Set - User
Sync Conversation Data from Drift to Salesforce
Let’s walk through ensuring that your historical and ongoing Drift Conversation data flows into the App components
Note: Currently we do not support data syncs into Sandbox environments
- First, ensure that you have configured your Salesforce integration properly within Drift:
- Sync Chat Activity as Tasks
- Sync Meetings as Events
- Identify the Salesforce User you used to connect Drift and Salesforce on the Drift integration settings page (hover over the "Connected" text to see the email address of the Salesforce user)
- Assign the Administrator Permission Set to the Salesforce User used to connect Drift and Salesforce
- Next, navigate to Setup > Installed Packages and click Configure next to Drift for Salesforce
- A setup page will open confirming the previous steps. Please click Start sync
- We’ll begin syncing your historical Drift Conversation data (may take up to 3 hours) and will send over data for new conversations real-time going forward
Adding Related Lists to Page Layouts
In this section, we’ll walk through how to add Drift Conversation information to your Account, Lead, and Contact Page Layouts.
- In Salesforce, navigate to Setup > Object Manager, and click on the Object you would like to add the Related List to (in this example, Account)
- Then click on Page Layouts and select the Layout you would like to modify (we’ll choose Account Layout)
- Next, select Related Lists and find the Drift Conversations Related List. Drag that onto the Related List section of the Page Layout
To choose the fields to display in the Related List, click on the properties icon and Add or Remove Selected Fields
- We recommend adding these fields to Accounts, Leads, and Contacts in the order stated:
ACCOUNT: Name / Lead / Contact / Drift Conversation Link / Teammate (First) / Playbook Name / Conversation Source URL Path / Conversation Start Time
LEAD: Name / Drift Conversation Link / Teammate (First) / Playbook Name / Conversation Source URL Path / Conversation Start Time
CONTACT: Name / Drift Conversation Link / Teammate (First) / Playbook Name / Conversation Source URL Path / Conversation Start Time
Note: Sort by Conversation Start Time in Descending order
- Click OK, and save your changes
- You’ll now see your Related List on the object’s page (in this case, Account)
Pre-Created Reports and Dashboards
We don’t want you to start from scratch, so we automatically create and populate some standard reports and dashboards to get you started reporting on Conversational Marketing & Sales. You can use them as included or modify them to fit your needs.
Reports and Dashboards Locations within Salesforce:
- On the Reports page, click All Folders in the left pane and select Drift
- On the Dashboards page, click All Folders in the left pane and select Drift
Note: As some of the underlying reports use Row-level formulas not supported by Salesforce Classic, please switch to the Salesforce Lightning Experience for optimal viewing and usage.
- Drift Overview: At a glance view of performance with Drift (year-to-date) across Conversations, Meetings, Pipeline, and Revenue. Note that the Pipeline and Revenue numbers are based only on Opportunities with Contact Roles who had conversations in Drift
- Drift Metrics (By Playbook): See how your top 10 playbooks are performing (year-to-date) across your funnel metrics. Then, drill into underlying reports to understand why. Note that the Pipeline number is based only on Opportunities with Contact Roles who had conversations in Drift
- Drift Metrics (By Teammate): See how your top 10 reps are performing (year-to-date) across your funnel metrics. Then, drill into underlying reports to understand why. Note that the Pipeline number is based only on Opportunities with Contact Roles who had conversations in Drift
- Drift Influenced Pipeline (Opportunity Contacts with Conversations)
- See all opportunities created (year-to-date) with contacts who had Drift conversations. Then, dig in to see which reps and playbooks are driving the most Pipeline
- Two versions included:
- Drift Pipeline | Contacts w/Convo (PB): Grouped by Playbook
- Drift Pipeline | Contacts w/Convo (TM): Grouped by Teammate
- Drift Influenced Revenue (Opportunity Contacts with Conversations)
- See all opportunities closed (year-to-date) with contacts who had Drift conversations. Then, dig in to see which reps and playbooks are driving the most Revenue
- One version included:
- Drift Revenue | Contacts w/Convo
- Drift Meetings
- Understand who has booked the most meetings (year-to-date), what playbooks are driving meetings, and more
- Two versions included:
- Drift Meetings (By Playbook): Grouped by Playbook
- Drift Meetings (By Meeting Owner): Grouped by Meeting Owner
- Drift Conversations
- Note: These are not all of your Drift conversations. They are only the conversations that have been synced as Activity tasks to Salesforce based on your settings in Drift. Please see FAQ section below for steps to change your Sync settings
- Understand which reps are having more conversations (year-to-date), what playbooks are driving the most conversations, and more
- One version included:
- Drift Conversations
- Drift Conversations
Look-Back Period Check: Row-Level Formula
Reminder: Row-Level Formulas only work in the Salesforce Lightning Experience.
Our revenue reports (Pipeline and Revenue) use a row-level formula called Look-Back Period Check which checks whether the opportunity was influenced by a Drift Conversation.
If the number of days between the conversation start date and opportunity created date are ≤ the Influenced Look-Back Period, and the conversation happened prior to the opportunity close date, the value will be set to . If not, the value will be set to .
Note: The Pipeline and Revenue reports will only include opportunities that have a  value under "Look-Back Period Check."
Continue to the next section to understand how to adjust the custom setting.
Setting the Attribution Time Period between a Chat and Opportunity Creation
Our pre-created pipeline & revenue reports allow you to determine how long after a chat occurring you want to attribute any opportunities created with that Contact as Drift Influenced.
The default time frame is set to 180 days, but you can change the time frame through the following steps.
- Search for Custom Settings and click into Drift Settings
- Then click on Edit next to Influenced Look-Back Period
- On this page, change the Default Value to the number of days of your choosing.
It’s worth keeping in mind how long your average Lead to Opportunity Created timeline typically lasts when deciding the timeframe to attribute Opportunities to Drift Chats in the pre-created Revenue reports in the Drift folder.
Drift Conversation Custom Object
The Drift for Salesforce App includes a Drift Conversation Custom Object with the following fields describing the conversation. This Object powers the pre-created Reports & Dashboards included with the App.
Drift Conversation Object Fields
- Account - Salesforce Account associated with the Drift conversation
- Bot Message Count - Number of bot messages sent in the conversation
- Contact - Salesforce Contact associated with the Drift conversation
- Conversation Close Time - Date and time when the Drift conversation closed
- Conversation Start Time - Date and time when the Drift conversation started
- Conversation ID - Drift's conversation ID
- Conversation Source URL Path - The URL Path for the page where the Drift conversation was initiated
- CQL Score - Conversation Qualified Lead (CQL) score applied to the contact in the Drift conversation. Values between [-1, 3] correspond to the number of CQL lightning bolts. -1 means Disqualified, 0 means No score
- Drift Conversation Link - URL to view conversation in Drift
- Email Captured - True if email was captured during the conversation
- Has Bot - True if a Drift Bot sent a message during the Drift conversation
- Has Teammate - True if a Drift teammate sent a message during the Drift conversation
- Has Site Visitor - True if a Site Visitor sent a message during the Drift conversation
- Inbox ID - Drift's inbox ID that the Drift conversation is part of
- Lead - Salesforce Lead associated with the Drift conversation
- Influenced Look-Back Period - Maximum number of days between first Drift conversation and opportunity creation date to consider an opportunity influenced by Drift. Field is used in Drift revenue reports. The default period can be changed in Setup > Custom Settings > Drift Settings
- Meeting Booked - True if a meeting was booked during the Drift conversation
- Meeting Duration (min) - Duration of the scheduled meeting in minutes
- Meeting Owner - Teammate whom the meeting was booked with
- Meeting Start Time - Date and time of the scheduled meeting
- Playbook ID - Drift's playbook ID
- Playbook Name - Drift's playbook name
- Playbook Name (Reports Only) - A lookup of the Drift Conversation_Playbook Name field which replaces the null (-) value with “[No Playbook Associated]” to add more context to reports and dashboards. Does not appear on the Drift Conversation record page layout
- Site Visitor Message Count - Number of messages sent by a Site Visitor
- Sourced - True if Salesforce Lead or Contact associated with the Drift conversation was created by Drift
- Teammate (First) - Drift teammate who first responded to the Drift conversation
- Teammate (First) (Reports Only) - A lookup of the Drift Conversation_Teammate field which replaces the null (-) value with “Bot Only” to add more context to reports and dashboards. Does not appear on the Drift Conversation record page layout
- Teammate Message Count - Number of messages sent by Drift teammate(s)
- Teammate Response Time (sec) - Time between first visitor message and first Drift teammate’s response
- Total Message Count - Total count of messages in the Drift conversation
Drift Conversation Custom Object Page Layout
This is what the Custom Object looks like in Salesforce:
How does this affect my current Salesforce Integration or my app.drift.com experience?
All of the App functionality is in addition to your existing setup. Nothing will change in app.drift.com. We are only providing you more data and pre-created reports and dashboards within Salesforce.
How far back can I see Drift Conversations using the Drift for Salesforce App?
We’ll sync over all of your Drift conversation data starting from January 1st, 2019 (or as far back as you retain Drift Activity tasks in Salesforce, whichever is earlier).
Why don’t I see all of my Drift Conversations in the Drift for Salesforce App?
Drift will only create Drift Conversation records for conversations which were synced over to Salesforce as Activities. To adjust these settings, navigate to https://app.drift.com/settings/setup/salesforce. To see data for all of your conversations, navigate to https://app.drift.com/reports/conversations.
Should I stop syncing Drift conversations activity as tasks to Salesforce?
No. Not only is this how we determine which Drift Conversation records to create, but these tasks serve to use Salesforce’s standard Campaign Influence reporting, and can be used by 3rd party systems for Attribution modeling.
What if I don’t use the standard Opportunity.Amount or other standard fields? How can I recreate the canned reports and dashboards?
If you have custom fields where you store information such as the revenue tied to a Salesforce Opportunity, you’ll have to clone the Report Type included with the package, add the custom field, and recreate the report. If you run into issues, your Salesforce admin may be able to help, or reach out to your point of contact at Drift with questions.