Drift has a new version of the widget available! You can update to the latest version here, or wait and we will update your account automatically on January 19.
You can expect the following from this new version:
- Consolidated network requests so the widget will be able to load faster on slower connections/devices.
- Reduced conflict with the loading of your website, ensuring that it doesn’t block up the main thread causing negative dings on SEO scoring tools.
- Smarter data fetching: fetching only the data needed to display targeted content to your site visitors.
- New standard for accessibility for visually impaired visitors: WCAG 2.1 Level AA.
- More design flexibility including, custom placement on the page and square or circular avatars.
Here is how you know which version you are on:
- Visit https://app.drift.com/settings2/widget. If you are on the latest version, you will see an indicator at the bottom of the page.
How can I get the update?
Simply go to https://app.drift.com/settings2/widget
What happens to my current settings?
All of your current settings like your avatar, fonts and colors will be persisted, no action necessary!
What if I have used custom CSS on the widget?
- If you have built custom, unsupported CSS on top of the old version of the widget, it will not be maintained. If required, you will need to rebuild it when you switch to the newest version.
- If you have leveraged custom CSS to move the widget around on the page, know that the new widget allows for left or right alignment as well as custom bottom spacing in settings.
What happens with my site visitors currently on a chat in V1?
Your site visitors won’t see the update until they refresh, so any existing conversations will not be impacted.
How can I switch back to the previous version?
The previous version will become unsupported as of January 15 when all customers are automatically updated to the latest version. If you have concerns, please speak to your Customer Success Manager.
Is anything going away in the new widget?
The “Full Height Sidebar” variation of the widget will no longer be a supported design.
Additionally, the “Three dots menu” allowing site visitors to create new conversations or view conversation history.