The widget is responsible for managing the majority of your customers' and visitors' interactions with you through Drift. Setting up the widget to display when you want, where you want, and to whom you want is critical to your seeing success with Drift!
In this doc, we'll cover
- what the widget is
- how to set the widget to always display
- how to target the widget to certain pages or circumstances
- how to remove the widget completely
- some frequently asked questions
Setting up display conditions for the widget is available on the Premium or Above Drift plan.
Laymen's Speak: Those little boxes you see on websites (i.e, our Drift chat bubble) that perform one simple function (i.e., chat conversations).
The Textbook Definition: A widget is a stand-alone application that can be embedded into third party sites by any user on a page where they have rights of authorship (e.g. a webpage, blog, or profile on a social media site)
The Drift Chat Widget: The box which shows in the bottom right corner of your webpage after successful installation. It is the main interface through which your end users can interact with any messages you create and send through Drift chat. It contains and fires Default greetings, Welcome Message playbooks, and LeadBot chat playbooks.
Displaying the Widget
If the chat widget icon is not showing up on your site and you'd like it to be - no worries! Run through this checklist to ensure everything is set up properly.
- Even if you set up your account in Drift, you need to make sure that you've actually installed the web app on your website. More Installation Instructions (and Video) here.
- Have you toggled on "Display the Chat Widget Icon" ? (see screenshot below of Drift Widget Settings)
Setting up Display Conditions for the Widget
Go to Settings > App Settings > Drift Widget > Hours, or click here. Select the Display To Pull down.
- Audience: segments you've created, whether static or dynamic, based on contact attributes or playbook events
- Display When: named sets of conditions which you can customize, including URL
Creating a New Display When Condition
To create a new display condition, hit Advanced targeting settings then Create new display rule, name your condition set and then choose among any combination of the following factors:
- Firmographics: Number of employees, Industry, Alexa ranking, Headquarters location (Premium plan and above)
- Hours: Drift Online/Offline Hours, Team Hours
- Location: IP address, US State, Country
- URL parameters: path, query, referrer
- Device: Mobile, Web, etc.
- Website Behavior: Scroll percentage Number of Site Visits, Number of Seconds on Page
See the example below of creating a new URL condition!
Removing the Widget
If you would like to remove the chat widget from your site entirely, navigate from Settings > App Settings > Drift Widget and select No Visitors in the dropdown.
If you are still encountering problems, chat with us and we can help!
Why is my widget still displaying when I excluded it with targeting?
Removing your widget from a page or situation does not prevent Playbooks from firing on that page! While the widget can coexist with playbooks, Playbooks don't need the Drift Widget in order to work.
Often, people will create Playbooks for their customers to interact with on a page, and they want the whole chat bubble icon to disappear if the bot flow is completed, rather than leave the chat there for people to type into freely.
Why isn't my Default Greeting updating?
If you've edited your Default Greeting and don't see it updating on your site, there's most likely an easy explanation. If the widget is expanding automatically when you land on your site, this is one of your Playbooks, most likely the Welcome Message Playbook, which often has very similar copy to a Default Greeting. Check if you have a Welcome Message playbook in your Playbook list. Make sure the status is turned off (grey, instead of green) if you never want it to show, or make sure it has the same targeting conditions that you set for your Drift Chat Widget if you want it to display with the same Targeting!
Can I move my widget to somewhere else on the page?
The location of the Drift widget isn't customizable because we've found the best engagement rates from being in this standard location on the page which is not too intrusive. However, using our dev docs, you do have the freedom to create custom CSS styles for the Drift Chat Widget or fire a Drift Chat with any link or button.