In this doc, we'll cover
- Installing on HubSpot hosted pages
- Requirements for the integration
- Functionalities of the integration
- Identifying known HubSpot users
- Setting up the connection
Installing on HubSpot Hosted Pages:
- Our HubSpot integration is available only on Drift's Premium Plan and above.
- This integration requires a HubSpot account with API access turned on (should be all plans).
- The user who connects this integration also needs to be an superadmin in HubSpot.
HubSpot Integration Functionalities
Here’s what the integration will do for you…
- All new contacts added into Drift, from the moment you connect the integration and forward, will be automatically synced in to HubSpot's database as soon as they provide their email. If you would like to to delay this, you can do that in your HubSpot Sync Settings.
- If you have contacts in HubSpot, those contacts will be recognized by Drift as well using HubSpot's cookie!
- When a conversation is closed in Drift, we sync attributes for the contact.
- We also log the Drift conversation link as an event on the HubSpot record.
Automatically identify users via the HubSpot cookie
- After integrating HubSpot with Drift, if somebody gets cookied via HubSpot (they filled out a HubSpot form, clicked on a link from a HubSpot email), the next time they come to your site, we'll already know who they are and their email address - it's like magic!
- If somebody is cookied but there is no contact email in HubSpot, when they do provide an email within a conversation, we'll create a form in HubSpot named "Drift" and make a submission to that form with that email and cookie.
- Note: This will only work from the moment this is turned on and forwards. It will not work with historically identified contacts
Below is what the Drift event looks like in the HubSpot timeline. To learn more about HubSpot Events, click here!
Since we’re sending events to HubSpot, you’ll also be able to create lists based on:
- New conversations
- Messages being sent
If you want to learn more about what Drift properties in HubSpot mean, click here.
Setting up the HubSpot integration
Head to Settings > App Settings > Integrations > HubSpot, or, click here.
Log in with your HubSpot credentials.
Synced HubSpot Data
Under Synced HubSpot Data, you can choose to sync leads, set lead ownership, send Drift activity and/or chat transcripts to HubSpot.
You can also filter which leads get synced to HubSpot by setting a minimum CQL score! Simply click the checkbox and you can set the CQL threshold of your choosing.
With HubSpot, you also have the option to create the contact only whenthe conversation is closed. Without this option, contacts will be pushed to HubSpot immediately when an email is captured. All other attributes and data will be pushed at the time the conversation is closed.
Using the HubSpot Cookie
You can elect to Identify Drift visitors with the HubSpot cookie so that when a user you've identified in HubSpot engages with your greeting or Playbook, we'll have their email address pre-populated in the conversation view!
This is also under Synced HubSpot Data.
Mapped HubSpot Attributes
You'll most likely want to sync many pieces of contact data onto your HubSpot records. Mapping attributes will ensure you get the most data out of Drift and into HubSpot.
For the full doc on mapping attributes in HubSpot, click here.
Mapped HubSpot Users
Under Mapped HubSpot Users, you can map your HubSpot users to Drift users for the purposes of lead ownership. Clicking Map New HubSpot Users will add more fields so you can add additional teammates. Please ensure that your mapped users have their first and last name filled out in their HubSpot profile.
The Event Log
To check the activity that you're syncing to HubSpot, you can always check your Event Log. You can sort by time period, and activity, including errors. Errors will appear in red.
FAQs and Troubleshooting
Why don't I see a lead/contact created in Drift synced to HubSpot?
First, go to the most recent conversation with this contact in Drift. If you enabled Create contact only on conversation closed, make sure that this conversation was closed either by the bot or by a user in your organization.
Then, check the event log. Sort by date and time and check to see if there's an event for that lead or contact. Check both the time at which the conversation started and the time at which the conversation was closed (you can see these timestamps in the conversation view). If you see an error, you can try to re-open and re-close the conversation to try the sync again, or you'll see helpful information about why the sync failed, i.e., improper permissions or field type access. If you don't see an error, check the conversation and make sure that the lead or contact meets your Sync settings, such as minimum CQL score, if you're using that feature. If you still don't see it, let us know!
Other HubSpot Articles:
Did You Know?
You can view our training video about setting up Integrations our Drift Insider pages? Click HERE to learn more!